Thursday, January 28, 2016

Let Me Tell You About...

Welcome to my little corner of the  B'Sue Boutiques Build a Line Challenge Blog Hop! I am participating to learn all about the fascinating history of jewelry, and to create a cohesive line of jewelry using B'Sue Boutiques brass stampings and components.

I began dabbling in jewelry about eight years ago just out of curiosity to see if I could really make something wearable; boy was I surprised when Stringing Magazine accepted my first submission comprised of my own polymer clay focal and wirework necklace. From there, I attended several semesters of community college silversmith classes, and now I'm embarking on a new journey with gorgeous brass stampings, shimmering crystals, and those luscious Miriam Haskell pearls.

As I mentioned in my last post, this is a new genre for me as my past work involves metalwork, wirework, and polymer clay focals:




I have been attracted to sparkly baubles ever since I was five years old, when I became aware of my Hungarian Grandmother's Art Deco, Art Noveau, and trendy 1950's sparklers. I was hooked! Grandma made sure I was decked out every Easter, and my fondest memory was that gorgeous woman dressing me up in a white rabbit fur batwing jacket and matching pillbox hat. My frilly pink and white embroidered dress was not complete without the little gold and pearl duckling brooch with matching cufflinks. I was stylin'! I still have that pillbox hat, reminiscent of Jackie Kennedy. Those were the days.

Brenda Sue has made sure our challenge group is well versed in jewelry history, including such styles as Victorian, Arts and Crafts, Art Nouveau, and Art Deco. The stampings used in the challenge originate from vintage and antique dies and are crafted by expert casters. They hail from the historical periods mentioned, so the designs our group creates will have a certain historical flair. Here are a sampling of my components I will use to create my designs, can you guess my theme?
Let me tell you about the birds and the bees, and the flowers and the trees, and how I will love to put these components together into a romantic and feminine jewelry line. My theme is The Birds and the Bees!  Please join me and the challenge group in our first of three blog hops charting our journey. Click on the links below! Tell us what you think!

Brenda Sue Lansdowne Jewelry Making Outside the Box


Diana Buynak Butterfly Emporium Ceramic Studio

Irene Hoffman, Heart's Dezire by Irene

Clare Wells Nemeth, Creative Magick

Mary Reckmeyer, Afrayed Not

Marcia Tuzzolino, Aurora Designs

Elizabeth Wilks, Wearable Art by Lizzie

Jeanette Rose Belmont, One Canvas At A Time

Lyn Joy Reeve, A Journey From Jewels To Jubilation

Belinda Reed-Ingle, Vogue Rocks

Beth Trubman, The Journey of Jewelry

Carole Carlson, Bead Sophisticate

Jann Tague, Clever Designs by Jann

Shari Gardner, SLG Jewelry Designs

Susan Bolton, Fern's Place

Chris Kemp, Noodle Pie Bracelets

Barbara Kelley, Angels' Keep

Susan Bowerman, Woodside Wireworks

Pamela Anger, Novegatti Designs

Joan Donovan, Hailey's Cottage

Alison Huie, Ally's Baubles

Sharon Palac, Sharon's Jewelry Garden

Erica Olmos, Beeb's Closet

Erin Whitacre, Shattered Time Jewelry

Fran Sitton, Sitton Up Front

Ginger Hammond, Lynn Leigh Designs

Paula Gaskill, Lovely LaylaBug Jewels

Mary Deis, The Rose Sword

Renee Webb Allen, Small Stuff Design

Valerie Tilghman, ArtJewelsandGifts

Chris Cravens, Vintage Cravens

Leslie Carver, Adorn Divine Designs

Donna Parry, JewelryDonna

Gina-Marie Hammer, Tangles, Twists and Treasures

Kelly Wymer, Winged Wisdom Enchantments



28 comments:

  1. Love your theme and the use of the stampings will be a lot of fun. This line also gives you conversations about the birds and the bees. Could have a great story line to go with it. Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that song and I'm pretty certain you'll be producing a memorable line, too! You've chosen gorgeous components. Can't wait to see it all come together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a sweet theme, Sharon. I am really looking forward to watching your new line come to life over the next few months and to getting to know you better through this challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your theme is close to my heart, since my theme is: "Birds and Nests." I can't wait to see what you come up with. The components are beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  5. Birds and bees, I cannot wait to see what you do with all your pretty components.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun theme!!! and yes, I do have the song running through my head right now :) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI Sharon, I do love your theme of course! My second piece also has a bee on it. Great minds right? Your description of getting dressed up to the nines sounds like how my Mom decked me out too. We were so fortunate! Wonderful memories. No wonder we love jewelry! I enjoyed getting to know you better!
    Chris K.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your line sounds enchanting. I love the components you have chosen. Looking forward to seeing your line.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great blog Sharon and love your theme. Look forward to seeing your creations with all those gorgeous components.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sharon I look forward to seeing how you develop those beautiful components into your line.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sharon, I loved the story about your Grandma and Easter! Your theme is wonderful and I was singing in my head when I read it! lol. I really like the color palette you've chosen for your line.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looking forward to seeing what you create, pretty theme.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your theme! Birds and bees, would like to do that myself someday! The components are just beautiful, and will be following!!! See you in class.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm partial to bees so I will love your line.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sharon, I can't wait to see what you create with your Birds and Bees theme. I'm afraid of Bees, because I'm allergic to them, but I know your line will be pretty and and I won't be afraid of yours. I'm happy to sharing this journey with you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I also love your theme. So many possibilities. How exciting to be a published jewelry maker. I will be checking out all your creations.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you lovely ladies for all of your encouraging comments!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful components and I think line will be lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great theme, Sharon! Birds and bees in jewelry are so fun, and there's so many cool ways to use them ... your line will be great! So nice to have you in the BALC this year!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your theme. You have some wonderful components in your designs. Looking forward to seeing your line.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your theme "Birds and Bees" and those components are so perfect for it. I enjoyed your blog and all the wonderful techniques you have acquired. Looking forward to seeing your line. :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Birds and the bees. . .I am doing the flowers and the trees as well! We will be so different it will great seeing beauty in all different perspectives!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for sharing with us Sharon!

    You picked a wonderful theme for this challenge. I like the idea of birds and bees!

    You could do so many things with this!

    I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cute theme- especially with Spring on the horizon! You have picked really nice components - looking forward to your line!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love birds and bees. This will be worth waiting for. Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sharon, so sorry to be so late to post on your participation in the group but I had some probs getting my comments to go thru. Hopefully this one will! With your talent and all the pretty things you chose to work with, I know the class exercize will be successful for you. SO GLAD you chose to join us this year! A++++

    ReplyDelete
  27. The birds and the bees... Sounds cool and refreshing! Who wouldn't want to create a jewelry that symbolizes the wonderful nature? Will definitely wait for your next blog post!

    ReplyDelete